Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors (NDEP) -- Same name, even greater commitment
NDEP’s mission is to advocate for and empower educators to lead the profession of nutrition and dietetics. As a result of their mission, the goals of NDEP are: to recognize educators and preceptors as leaders of the profession, support and advance nutrition and dietetic education programs, and support the purposes and goals of The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. NDEP consists of over 1,100 educator and preceptor members with a decision-making body composed of 13 elected members and four appointed members known as the NDEP Council. NDEP represents the large group of educators and preceptors to ACEND, CDR, Council on Future Practice, Board of Directors and other entities within and outside of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
2017 Spring Area Meetings- New three meetings, instead of four!
To register for any of the three meetings, visit: https://ams.eatright.org/eweb/StartPage.aspx
Registration Costs: Early-bird Rate: NDEP Member - $175, Academy Member - $215, Non-Academy Member - $250
Standard Rate: NDEP Member - $205, Academy Member - $245, Non-Academy Member - $280
Central Region - March 30-31st - Hyatt Regency Louisville, KY
- To book housing at the Hyatt Regency, please make your reservations directly on-line via the following link: https://aws.passkey.com/go/NDEP Please book your hotel reservation as soon as possible as the room block will booked up quickly and closes Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 5:00 pm CT. If you need additional assistance, please call 1-888-421-1442.
- Early-bird registration ends: February 28th, Registration Closes: March 22nd
Eastern Region - April 20-21st - Embassy Suites by Hilton Baltimore Inner Harbor, Baltimore, MD
Please book a hotel reservation as soon as possible as the room block will booked up quickly and the room block will expire on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 5pm CT. Reservations for the hotel will be made by registering vis this link http://embassysuites.hilton.com/en/es/groups/personalized/B/BWIBDES-AND-20170419/index.jhtml OR by individuals calling the hotel directly at 1-800-EMBASSY and refer to the NDEP Eastern Region Meeting 2017 to receive the special group rate.
- Early-bird registration ends: March 20th, Registration Closes: April 12th
Western Region - March 12-14th - Asilomar Conference Grounds, Pacific Grove, CA- Registration Now Closed!
2017 Outstanding Preceptor Awards - Due March 3rd 2017
The purpose of the Outstanding Preceptor Award (OPA) is to recognize the exceptional teaching, mentoring, and leadership activities of preceptors in ACEND-accredited dietetics education programs. Note: Program directors and faculty are not eligible for this award as there is a separate award given to Outstanding Dietetic Educators. Active NDEP Council members and previous OPA winners are not eligible for this award.
In addition to publishing the list of outstanding preceptors in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, NDEP-Line, and the NDEP and ACEND websites, each awardee will receive $1,000 to attend the 2017 Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo in Chicago, IL (supported by the Academy’s Foundation) and a certificate and congratulatory letter from the Academy President. Awards will be presented during the NDEP member breakfast at FNCE.
•Member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
•Preceptor in an ACEND-accredited supervised practice program (CP, DI, DT or ISPP).
Submission and Selection Procedure:
1. Nominations from both peers/program directors/program faculty AND students/interns will be collected using an online entry system (Survey Monkey), which will close at 5pm CST on March 3, 2017.
2. Nomination applications should be submitted by the Program Director of the program the preceptor is a part of and consist of a completed online entry, which includes two separate focused statements of support (one from peers, program directors, and faculty AND one from students/interns). Additional materials beyond the online entry will not be reviewed.
a. Nominations will be evaluated upon the exemplary accomplishments of preceptors above what would be considered core preceptor responsibilities based upon the following key areas:
i. Teaching, which should showcase innovative teaching skills and techniques to facilitate student/intern learning.
ii. Mentoring, which should include those behaviors that elevate student learning and level of practice above routine preceptor responsibilities.
iii. Leadership, which should include any membership and participation in local, state, or national organizations, community organizations, workplace committees, public policy, etc.
3. The NDEP Preceptor Director and Preceptor Committee will receive, review, and select the winner from the eligible nominations after the survey has been closed. The committee will select no more than one preceptor from each of the seven geographical areas. There is a maximum of seven awards per year.
4. Questions about the selection procedure and submission process to should be directed to NDEP at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominations will be accepted via this survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PreceptorAwardNomination
2016-2017 NDEP Council Members
Chair: Robyn Osborn - Robyn.Osborn@va.gov
Chair-Elect: Patricia Knisley - email@example.com
Past Chair: Sylvia Escott-Stump - ESCOTTSTUMPS@ecu.edu
HOD Delegate: Kendra Kattelmann - Kendra.firstname.lastname@example.org
Preceptor Director: Stephanie Stockslager - Stephanie.Stockslager@vcuhealth.org
Graduate Student Representative: Emily Riddle - email@example.com
Communications Director: Mary-Jon Ludy - firstname.lastname@example.org
Newsletter Editor: Colleen McGrief - email@example.com
Board of Directors Liaison: Aida Miles - firstname.lastname@example.org
ACEND Liaison: Maxine McElligott - MMcElligott@nebraskamed.com
- CDR Liaison: Rebecca Brody - email@example.com
Regional Directors (even-numbered areas elected in even years and odd-numbered areas elected in odd years)
- Area 1: Wendy Buchan, PhD, RD - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 1: Susan E. Helm, PhD, RDN - email@example.com
- Area 2: Kim Matwiejow, MS, RD, LDN, VHA-CM- Kim.Matwiejow2@va.gov
- Area 3: Karen Smith, MBA MS RD LD FADA FAND - KarenSmith@IamMorrison.com
- Area 4: Peggy Turner, MS, RD, LDN, FAND - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 5: Adam M. Burda, MS, RDN, LDN, FAND - email@example.com
- Area 6: Malinda Cecil, PhD, RD, LDN - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 7: Kathleen (Kathy) Border EdD, RD, CDN, FAND - email@example.com
NDEP Geographic Areas:
Area 1: AK,CA,MT,OR,WY,ID,HI,WA
Area 2: IA,MN,MI,MO,NE,ND,SD,WI
Area 3: AL,AR,FL,GA,LA,MS,SC, PR
Area 4: AZ,CO,KS,NV,NM,OK,TX,UT
Area 5: IN,IL,KY, OH,TN,WV
Area 6: MD,NC,VA,DE,PA
Area 7: NJ,NYC,NY,ME,RI,MA,VT,CT,NH, International Members
NDEP Portal and EML
This online portal is a communication and networking tool for the members of the Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors (NDEP) Group. The portal includes a message board, an electronic mailing list (EML), a resource library and calendars for all NDEP events. Once becoming a member of the NDEP group, you are automatically a member of the portal. There is no need to sign up! You can visit the portal at http://ndep.webauthor.com to access all the features of the portal!
Your user name and password are the same as your member ID and password that you use to log into the Academy’s eatright.org website. If you do not remember your Academy user name and log in, please call Member Services at 800-877-1600 ext. 5000 and ask for your Academy user name and log in.
This portal will be the main communication system between the NDEP leadership and the members through email blasts and messages.
The old EML through the VA (VHALIT-DEP-L@www.LISTSERV.VA.GOV) is no longer in use. You can use the EML by logging into the portal or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You can, as an NDEP member, opt out or change settings of the EML by updating your settings under my profile once you have logged into the portal. You can update your settings to receive "Real Time," "Daily Digest," or "No" EML messages.
Below is a link to download the handout from Donald Balasa, JD, MBA, regarding National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) and CDR, which was provided at the NDEP members meeting at FNCE on October 7, 2013.
NCCA Requirements and Legal Issues
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Resource
What is the House of Delegates and why should I care about it?
- Have you heard this question from students, members or non-members?
- Have you ever wondered this very thing yourself?
If you answered "yes" to either of these questions, then check out the newest AND resource. "AND's House of Delegates--What's IT All About?" is a 10-minute video designed to increase awareness and understanding of this important branch of the AND organization. The video provides an overview of the House of Delegates (HOD), its composition, functions, frequency of meeting, what happens during a HOD meeting and the outcome of a meeting. It is perfect for use in a classroom, district or affiliate meeting, DPG meeting or staff meeting to unravel mysteries of the HOD and how members can have their voices heard.
If you have any questions related to the House of Delegates (HOD), please contact Harold Holler at email@example.com or 800/877-1600, ext. 4896.