Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors (NDEP) -- Same name, even greater commitment
NDEP’s mission is to advocate for and empower educators to lead the profession of nutrition and dietetics. As a result of their mission, the goals of NDEP are: to recognize educators and preceptors as leaders of the profession, support and advance nutrition and dietetic education programs, and support the purposes and goals of The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. NDEP consists of over 1,100 educator and preceptor members with a decision-making body composed of 13 elected members and four appointed members known as the NDEP Council. NDEP represents the large group of educators and preceptors to ACEND, CDR, Council on Future Practice, Board of Directors and other entities within and outside of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
2017 Spring Area Meetings- 3 meetings instead of 4!
Western Region - March 12-14th - Asilomar Conference Grounds, Pacific Grove, CA
Central Region - March 30-31st - Hyatt Regency Louisville, KY
Eastern Region - April 20-21st - Embassy Suites by Hilton Baltimore Inner Harbor, Baltimore, MD
Registration and Additional Information will be posted in January!
2017 Outstanding Dietetic Educator Award (ODEA) - Nominations due January 13, 2017.
The purpose of the Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award (ODEA) is to recognize the teaching, mentoring, and leadership activities of faculty in ACEND-accredited dietetics education programs. One educator can be selected from each of the four program types in each geographic area (a maximum of four awardees from each of the seven geographic areas for a total of 28).
In addition to publishing the list of outstanding educators in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and NDEP-line, each awardee will receive a certificate and congratulatory letter from the Academy President. Awards will be presented at the NDEP area meetings for educators.
- Nominees must be a current member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, but are not required to be an NDEP member for consideration for this award.
- Preceptors are not eligible for this award as there is a separate award given to Outstanding Preceptors.
- Active NDEP Council members are not eligible for this award. For a listing of the current NDEP Council members go to www.ndepnet.org.
- Previous ODEA winners cannot be nominated for the same program award again; however, they could be nominated for an award for a different program type, if applicable.
Criteria for Selection of Outstanding Educators
- Member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Faculty with academic appointments in ACEND-accredited dietetics education programs:
- Coordinated Program in Dietetics (CP)
- Dietetic Internship (DI)
- Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD)
- Dietetic Technician Program (DT)
- Demonstrated innovative teaching skills and techniques.
- Demonstrated mentoring of students.
- Demonstrated leadership; e.g., national, state, or district dietetic association activities, community service, honors received, scientific and professional presentations, publications, etc.
Selection Procedure and Submission Dates
1. Nominations from peers and/or students will be sent to the Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors (NDEP) Regional Director (see page 2) in the corresponding geographic area by January 13, 2017. Each Regional Director will select no more than one educator for each type of dietetics education program (CP, DI, DPD, DT) in the area (maximum four).
2. Each nomination application will be a single PDF that includes the ODEA Data Sheet, curriculum vitae (or resume), and three reference letters. Nominations must be sent electronically. Jpeg documents or individual documents will not be accepted. Additional materials beyond the requested materials (data sheet, CV, letters) will not be reviewed.
3. The Regional Directors will form selection committees to review the nominations and select no more than one educator for each type of dietetic education program. This means there can be a maximum of four awardees per area for a total of 28 awardees a year.
4. Direct any questions about the selection procedure and submission process to the respective Regional Director.
- Regional Directors will notify the respective state affiliate for each awardee. Affiliates may wish to recognize nominees from their states at state meetings.
- Recipients will be recognized at the NDEP area meetings each spring. Awardees will receive a certificate and congratulatory letter from the Academy president.
- The list of outstanding educator award recipients will be published in the spring issue of the NDEP-line and the September issue of the Journal.
- Electronically send the entire application as a single PDF [ODEA Data Sheet, CV (resume), 3 reference letters] to the respective NDEP Regional Director.
- Direct any questions to the NDEP Regional Director in your area.
- The submission deadline for nominations is January 13, 2017.
Procedures and Forms for the Outstanding Dietetics Educator Awards
Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award Data Sheet(MS Word version)
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
2017 Outstanding Preceptor Awards - Due March 3rd 2017
The purpose of the Outstanding Preceptor Award (OPA) is to recognize the exceptional teaching, mentoring, and leadership activities of preceptors in ACEND-accredited dietetics education programs. Note: Program directors and faculty are not eligible for this award as there is a separate award given to Outstanding Dietetic Educators. Active NDEP Council members and previous OPA winners are not eligible for this award.
In addition to publishing the list of outstanding preceptors in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, NDEP-Line, and the NDEP and ACEND websites, each awardee will receive $1,000 to attend the 2017 Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo in Chicago, IL (supported by the Academy’s Foundation) and a certificate and congratulatory letter from the Academy President. Awards will be presented during the NDEP member breakfast at FNCE.
•Member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
•Preceptor in an ACEND-accredited supervised practice program (CP, DI, DT or ISPP).
Submission and Selection Procedure:
1. Nominations from both peers/program directors/program faculty AND students/interns will be collected using an online entry system (Survey Monkey), which will close at 5pm CST on March 3, 2017.
2. Nomination applications should be submitted by the Program Director of the program the preceptor is a part of and consist of a completed online entry, which includes two separate focused statements of support (one from peers, program directors, and faculty AND one from students/interns). Additional materials beyond the online entry will not be reviewed.
a. Nominations will be evaluated upon the exemplary accomplishments of preceptors above what would be considered core preceptor responsibilities based upon the following key areas:
i. Teaching, which should showcase innovative teaching skills and techniques to facilitate student/intern learning.
ii. Mentoring, which should include those behaviors that elevate student learning and level of practice above routine preceptor responsibilities.
iii. Leadership, which should include any membership and participation in local, state, or national organizations, community organizations, workplace committees, public policy, etc.
3. The NDEP Preceptor Director and Preceptor Committee will receive, review, and select the winner from the eligible nominations after the survey has been closed. The committee will select no more than one preceptor from each of the seven geographical areas. There is a maximum of seven awards per year.
4. Questions about the selection procedure and submission process to should be directed to NDEP at email@example.com
Nominations will be accepted via a survey link which will be available in early 2017.
2016-2017 NDEP Council Members
Chair: Robyn Osborn - Robyn.Osborn@va.gov
Chair-Elect: Patricia Knisley - firstname.lastname@example.org
Past Chair: Sylvia Escott-Stump - ESCOTTSTUMPS@ecu.edu
HOD Delegate: Kendra Kattelmann - Kendra.email@example.com
Preceptor Director: Stephanie Stockslager - Stephanie.Stockslager@vcuhealth.org
Graduate Student Representative: Emily Riddle - firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications Director: Mary-Jon Ludy - email@example.com
Newsletter Editor: Colleen McGrief - firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of Directors Liaison: Aida Miles - email@example.com
ACEND Liaison: Maxine McElligott - MMcElligott@nebraskamed.com
- CDR Liaison: Rebecca Brody - firstname.lastname@example.org
Regional Directors (even-numbered areas elected in even years and odd-numbered areas elected in odd years)
- Area 1: Wendy Buchan, PhD, RD - email@example.com
- Area 1: Susan E. Helm, PhD, RDN - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 2: Kim Matwiejow, MS, RD, LDN, VHA-CM- Kim.Matwiejow2@va.gov
- Area 3: Karen Smith, MBA MS RD LD FADA FAND - KarenSmith@IamMorrison.com
- Area 4: Peggy Turner, MS, RD, LDN, FAND - email@example.com
- Area 5: Adam M. Burda, MS, RDN, LDN, FAND - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 6: Malinda Cecil, PhD, RD, LDN - email@example.com
- Area 7: Kathleen (Kathy) Border EdD, RD, CDN, FAND - firstname.lastname@example.org
NDEP Geographic Areas:
Area 1: AK,CA,MT,OR,WY,ID,HI,WA
Area 2: IA,MN,MI,MO,NE,ND,SD,WI
Area 3: AL,AR,FL,GA,LA,MS,SC, PR
Area 4: AZ,CO,KS,NV,NM,OK,TX,UT
Area 5: IN,IL,KY, OH,TN,WV
Area 6: MD,NC,VA,DE,PA
Area 7: NJ,NYC,NY,ME,RI,MA,VT,CT,NH, International Members
NDEP Portal and EML
This online portal is a communication and networking tool for the members of the Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors (NDEP) Group. The portal includes a message board, an electronic mailing list (EML), a resource library and calendars for all NDEP events. Once becoming a member of the NDEP group, you are automatically a member of the portal. There is no need to sign up! You can visit the portal at http://ndep.webauthor.com to access all the features of the portal!
Your user name and password are the same as your member ID and password that you use to log into the Academy’s eatright.org website. If you do not remember your Academy user name and log in, please call Member Services at 800-877-1600 ext. 5000 and ask for your Academy user name and log in.
This portal will be the main communication system between the NDEP leadership and the members through email blasts and messages.
The old EML through the VA (VHALIT-DEP-L@www.LISTSERV.VA.GOV) is no longer in use. You can use the EML by logging into the portal or by emailing email@example.com. You can, as an NDEP member, opt out or change settings of the EML by updating your settings under my profile once you have logged into the portal. You can update your settings to receive "Real Time," "Daily Digest," or "No" EML messages.
Below is a link to download the handout from Donald Balasa, JD, MBA, regarding National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) and CDR, which was provided at the NDEP members meeting at FNCE on October 7, 2013.
NCCA Requirements and Legal Issues
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Resource
What is the House of Delegates and why should I care about it?
- Have you heard this question from students, members or non-members?
- Have you ever wondered this very thing yourself?
If you answered "yes" to either of these questions, then check out the newest AND resource. "AND's House of Delegates--What's IT All About?" is a 10-minute video designed to increase awareness and understanding of this important branch of the AND organization. The video provides an overview of the House of Delegates (HOD), its composition, functions, frequency of meeting, what happens during a HOD meeting and the outcome of a meeting. It is perfect for use in a classroom, district or affiliate meeting, DPG meeting or staff meeting to unravel mysteries of the HOD and how members can have their voices heard.
If you have any questions related to the House of Delegates (HOD), please contact Harold Holler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800/877-1600, ext. 4896.