Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors (NDEP) -- Same name, even greater commitment
NDEP’s mission is to advocate for and empower educators to lead the profession of nutrition and dietetics. As a result of their mission, the goals of NDEP are: to recognize educators and preceptors as leaders of the profession, support and advance nutrition and dietetic education programs, and support the purposes and goals of The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. NDEP consists of over 1,100 educator and preceptor members with a decision-making body composed of 13 elected members and four appointed members known as the NDEP Council. NDEP represents the large group of educators and preceptors to ACEND, CDR, Council on Future Practice, Board of Directors and other entities within and outside of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
2017 Spring Area Meetings- 3 meetings instead of 4!
Western Region - March 12-14th - Asilomar Conference Grounds, Pacific Grove, CA
Central Region - March 30-31st - Hyatt Regency Louisville, KY
Eastern Region - April 20-21st - Embassy Suites by Hilton Baltimore Inner Harbor, Baltimore, MD
Registration and Additional Information will be posted in January!
2017 Outstanding Preceptor Awards - Due March 3rd 2017
The purpose of the Outstanding Preceptor Award (OPA) is to recognize the teaching, mentoring, and leadership activities of preceptors in ACEND-accredited dietetics education programs. Note: Program directors and faculty are not eligible for this award as there is a separate award given to Outstanding Dietetic Educators. Active NDEP Council members and previous OPA winners are not eligible for this award.
In addition to publishing the list of outstanding preceptors in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and NDEP-Line, each awardee will receive $1,000 (supported by the Academy's Foundation) to attend the 2017 Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo in Chicago, IL and a certificate and congratulatory letter from the Academy President. Awards will be presented during the member showcase and during an NDEP-sponsored event.
•Member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
•Preceptor in an ACEND-accredited supervised practice program (CP, DI, DT or ISPP)
Submission and Selection Procedure:
1. Nominations from peers, program directors, program faculty and/or students/interns will be collected using an online entry system (Survey Monkey), which will close at 5pm CST on March 3, 2017.
2. Nomination applications consist of a completed online entry, including two recommendations (one from peers, program directors, and faculty and one from students/interns). Additional materials beyond the online entry will not be reviewed.
3. The NDEP Preceptor Director and Preceptor Task Force will receive the nominations after the survey has been closed. The task force will review the nominations and select no more than one preceptor from each of the seven geographical areas. There is a maximum of seven awards per year.
4. The NDEP Preceptor Director will request verification of Academy membership for each nominee with the Education Staff of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
5. Questions about the selection procedure and submission process to should be directed to NDEP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations will be accepted via a survey link which will be available in early 2017.
2017 Outstanding Dietetic Educator Award (ODEA)
The purpose of the Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award (ODEA) is to recognize the teaching, mentoring, and leadership activities of faculty in ACEND-accredited dietetics education programs. One educator can be selected from each of the four program types in each geographic area (a maximum of four awardees from each of the seven geographic areas for a total of 28).
In addition to publishing the list of outstanding educators in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and NDEP-line, each awardee will receive a certificate and congratulatory letter from the Academy President. Awards will be presented at the NDEP area meetings for educators.
- Nominees must be a current member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, but are not required to be an NDEP member for consideration for this award.
- Preceptors are not eligible for this award as there is a separate award given to Outstanding Preceptors.
- Active NDEP Council members are not eligible for this award. For a listing of the current NDEP Council members go to www.ndepnet.org.
- Previous ODEA winners cannot be nominated for the same program award again; however, they could be nominated for a different program award, if applicable.
Criteria for Selection of Outstanding Educators
- Member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Faculty with academic appointments in ACEND-accredited dietetics education programs:
- Coordinated Program in Dietetics (CP)
- Dietetic Internship (DI)
- Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD)
- Dietetic Technician Program (DT)
- Demonstrated innovative teaching skills and techniques.
- Demonstrated mentoring of students.
- Demonstrated leadership; e.g., national, state, or district dietetic association activities, community service, honors received, scientific and professional presentations, publications, etc.
NOTE: This year there is a new process for these awards.
Selection Procedure and Submission Dates
- Nominations from peers and/or students will be sent to the Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors (NDEP) regional director in the corresponding geographic area by January 13, 2017. Each regional director will select no more than one educator for each type of dietetics education program (CP, DI, DPD, DT) in the area (maximum four).
- Each nomination application will be a single PDF that includes the ODEA Data Sheet, curriculum vitae (or resume), and three reference letters. Nominations must be sent electronically. Jpeg documents or individual documents will not be accepted. Additional materials beyond the requested materials (data sheet, CV, letters) will not be reviewed.
- The regional directors will form selection committees to review the nominations and select no more than one educator for each type of dietetic education program. This means there can be a maximum of four awardees per area for a total of 28 awardees a year.
- Regional directors will request verification of Academy membership for each nominee with the Education Staff at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Non-members are not eligible for award.
- Direct any questions about the selection procedure and submission process to the respective regional director.
- NDEP regional directors will electronically forward the ODEA data sheets for each awardee to the Education Staff at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics by February 17, 2017. Contact Academy Liaison at email@example.com.
- Regional directors will notify the respective state affiliate for each awardee. Affiliates may wish to recognize nominees from their states at state meetings.
- Recipients will be recognized at the NDEP area meetings for each educators each spring. Awardees will receive a certificate and congratulatory letter from the Academy president. The Academy Education Staff will print the award letters and certificates and bring them to the area meetings.
- The list of outstanding educator award recipients will be published in the spring issue of the NDEP-line and the September issue of the Journal.
- Recipients attending the Food and Nutrition Conference & Expo (FNCE) the following autumn may pick up a ribbon for their badge at the ribbon booth near registration.
- Electronically send the entire application as a single PDF (ODEA Data Sheet, CV (resume), 3 reference letters) to the respective regional director.
- Direct any questions to the NDEP regional director in your area.
- The submission deadline for nominations is January 13, 2017.
Procedures and Forms for the Outstanding Dietetics Educator Awards
Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award Data Sheet(MS Word version)
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
2016-2017 NDEP Council Members
Chair: Robyn Osborn - Robyn.Osborn@va.gov
Chair-Elect: Patricia Knisley - email@example.com
Past Chair: Sylvia Escott-Stump - ESCOTTSTUMPS@ecu.edu
HOD Delegate: Kendra Kattelmann - Kendra.firstname.lastname@example.org
Preceptor Director: Stephanie Stockslager - Stephanie.Stockslager@vcuhealth.org
Graduate Student Representative: Emily Riddle - email@example.com
Communications Director: Mary-Jon Ludy - firstname.lastname@example.org
Newsletter Editor: Colleen McGrief - email@example.com
Board of Directors Liaison: Aida Miles - firstname.lastname@example.org
ACEND Liaison: Maxine McElligott - MMcElligott@nebraskamed.com
Public Member: Sandra Gill - email@example.com
- CDR Liaison: Rebecca Brody - firstname.lastname@example.org
Regional Directors (even-numbered areas elected in even years and odd-numbered areas elected in odd years)
- Area 1: Wendy Buchan, PhD, RD - email@example.com
- Area 1: Susan E. Helm, PhD, RDN - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 2: Kim Matwiejow, MS, RD, LDN, VHA-CM- Kim.Matwiejow2@va.gov
- Area 3: Karen Smith, MBA MS RD LD FADA FAND - KarenSmith@IamMorrison.com
- Area 4: Peggy Turner, MS, RD, LDN, FAND - email@example.com
- Area 5: Adam M. Burda, MS, RDN, LDN, FAND - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 6: Malinda Cecil, PhD, RD, LDN - email@example.com
- Area 7: Kathleen (Kathy) Border EdD, RD, CDN, FAND - firstname.lastname@example.org
NDEP Geographic Areas:
Area 1: AK,CA,MT,OR,WY,ID,HI,WA
Area 2: IA,MN,MI,MO,NE,ND,SD,WI
Area 3: AL,AR,FL,GA,LA,MS,SC, PR
Area 4: AZ,CO,KS,NV,NM,OK,TX,UT
Area 5: IN,IL,KY, OH,TN,WV
Area 6: MD,NC,VA,DE,PA
Area 7: NJ,NYC,NY,ME,RI,MA,VT,CT,NH, International Members
NDEP Portal and EML
This online portal is a communication and networking tool for the members of the Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors (NDEP) Group. The portal includes a message board, an electronic mailing list (EML), a resource library and calendars for all NDEP events. Once becoming a member of the NDEP group, you are automatically a member of the portal. There is no need to sign up! You can visit the portal at http://ndep.webauthor.com to access all the features of the portal!
Your user name and password are the same as your member ID and password that you use to log into the Academy’s eatright.org website. If you do not remember your Academy user name and log in, please call Member Services at 800-877-1600 ext. 5000 and ask for your Academy user name and log in.
This portal will be the main communication system between the NDEP leadership and the members through email blasts and messages.
The old EML through the VA (VHALIT-DEP-L@www.LISTSERV.VA.GOV) is no longer in use. You can use the EML by logging into the portal or by emailing email@example.com. You can, as an NDEP member, opt out or change settings of the EML by updating your settings under my profile once you have logged into the portal. You can update your settings to receive "Real Time," "Daily Digest," or "No" EML messages.
Below is a link to download the handout from Donald Balasa, JD, MBA, regarding National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) and CDR, which was provided at the NDEP members meeting at FNCE on October 7, 2013.
NCCA Requirements and Legal Issues
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Resource
What is the House of Delegates and why should I care about it?
- Have you heard this question from students, members or non-members?
- Have you ever wondered this very thing yourself?
If you answered "yes" to either of these questions, then check out the newest AND resource. "AND's House of Delegates--What's IT All About?" is a 10-minute video designed to increase awareness and understanding of this important branch of the AND organization. The video provides an overview of the House of Delegates (HOD), its composition, functions, frequency of meeting, what happens during a HOD meeting and the outcome of a meeting. It is perfect for use in a classroom, district or affiliate meeting, DPG meeting or staff meeting to unravel mysteries of the HOD and how members can have their voices heard.
If you have any questions related to the House of Delegates (HOD), please contact Harold Holler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800/877-1600, ext. 4896.